Monday, January 28, 2013

The power of belief

I'm often asked how can I help you and after some reading and probing and thinking I've come up with one great idea. The biggest way you can help me is to BELIEVE in me. To often this culture tells each and everyone of us you are not good enough you need this soda, or this deodorant, you need a relationship, a car, a job, a education, a facebook account with 200 friends. Yes deodorant is good, yes a job is good but this slow degrading of self esteem takes its toll and despite how hard I fight I often succumb to the subliminal message you are not enough.

Think about the way you phrase things be thoughtful about how you present ideas. Often I've been asked "Do you ever think about going back to school?" This seems like a pretty innocent question but can you see how in a subliminal way this says have you ever thought of being better? Don't you want to do something with your life? These are are heart piercing lies that I fall into way to often. Saying you could write a book implies that I have the potential but you don't really believe I will. Saying I'm going to be the first to buy your book is a much more powerful statement of belief.

I had a good discussion with my roommate Lee yesterday and one thing that shocked me was his belief in me. "I see you as the next C.S. Lewis" and that seriously hit me and challenged all these lies of I am not good enough. It encouraged me a lot! So be bold and believe in me. Often I think we become what people expect of us, do you expect me to do great things? Or do you expect nothing?

~Joel

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo! Your blog is convicting in a good way, bro!

    Like this school thing: I've totally been guilty of that and I'm super duper sorry if my comments about school ever made you feel bad. Yes, people with degrees generally have greater earning power, but that's not always true. Look at me haha. Anyway, yeah. I realize there is pressure for you menfolk to have earning power to someday support a family, and I won't lie. There are women who look for that among other things.

    Honestly, though, I admire you for continuing to believe you are exactly where God has you! I BELIEVE that you have a faith that weathers storms and I BELIEVE that you will do something awesome with your writing. What, I can't say, but it will be epic! :)

    Peace out, bro!

    ReplyDelete